McCarthy & Lilburn was established in 1905 by William
Joseph McCarthy and Harry Lilburn, following the death
of Harry Lilburn in 1940, W. J. and his son Desmond Lewis
McCarthy became partners until WJ’s death in 1946.
After the end of the Second World War the practice continued
to expand, however following the untimely death of Desmond
McCarthy in 1961, the practice continued under the stewardship
of two senior employees Calvin Mahaffey and Sam Cunningham.
In 1980 Colin Desmond McCarthy jointed as a partner and
following the retirement of the other partners in 1981
he has continued as the sole Principal
its long history the Practice as Chartered Surveyors has
provided professional quantity surveying services to all
the Northern Ireland government departments and virtually
all the Councils and a wide range of private clients.
It has also worked with most of the celebrated local Architects
and Engineers, as well as some those from other parts
of the United Kingdom. Also many of the Principals and
Partners of to-days local quantity surveying practices
started their professional career with McCarthy, Lilburn